Sunday, March 25, 2007

& GUEST

How many times have you received an invitation to a wedding, Bar or Bat Mitzvah, engagement party, or some other function where “& Guest” did not appear on your invitation? Well, luckily when the mail arrived, the 5 by 5 glossy navy and white invitation read, “Miss Alexandra Hammerstein and Guest.” Phew, my sister thought; for once they did the smart thing and invited her with a guest. I had already received my invite, and being that I had a boyfriend of 9 months, my brother made sure I knew that Colby was invited and would be receiving his own, separate invite! But, my adorable single sister, Alex, was so ecstatic that she immediately looked at me and was like, oh no, who am I going to invite? Being that the Bar Mitzvah was 3 months away, I smiled and told her she had some time to work on it!

Anyone single can probably relate, and as most of us will all agree, dancing solo—(or worse, with Nana Gertie)—tends to either lead to a completely boring and lonely night, or a REALLY drunk version of dancing to the Hora. Luckily for me, I had Colby, but Alex was torn on which one of her “boy-toys” was going to be her arm-candy for the night. I went down the list with her, first saying, “You better bring someone tall so you can wear those sick Christian Louboutin heels which look so hot with that black satin Calvin Klein dress, and your Jackie-O pearls.” Mmmm, she laughed, nodded, and thought, “Ok, I think I’m going to go out on a limb and ask Jordan.” Jordan and Alex had recently met over the summer through mutual friends. He was tall with a full head of think black hair, (almost Italian looking), but he was Jewish, and best part of him was he could dance like a rock star! I agreed, “Great choice, I hope he say’s yes!” Well, being that she was booking him 3 months in advance, and knowing how some guys can agree to go but also will often bail out last minute, I made sure to remind her that she better DRILL the date and event into him and tell him NO matter what, he CANNOT bail!

I had met Jordan several times. He was definitely a babe, perhaps a little immature, but hitting the town on any given night with him was never boring! At any party or event where there’s going to be open bar, good eats, and a band or DJ (and hopefully one that doesn’t make everyone do the electric slide), it’s never so bad if you have a shinning hot date on your arm who can also dance with, or without being loaded. However, I knew deep down that my little sis, even though she wasn’t so quick to admit it, had a slight crush on Jordan. I couldn’t blame her. Who wouldn’t? After all, he was far from ugly, short, or bald, and along with his charm, his personality like the icing on the cake!

That weekend, Alex, Colby, and I were going to Mistral for dinner and then hitting Mantra for drinks after--a typical Saturday night out in Boston. Alex looked at me, “Jordan is meeting up with us at Mantra. I’m gonna’ ask him tonight to be my date, and make sure he knows there are no strings”…just a friendly evening of him accompanying her to the party! I smirked at her as we were in the bathroom, and said, “Alex, my beautiful and darling young sister, NOTHING is ever innocent and harmless with you. I know you too well. Please, you CAN’T tell me that a part of you isn’t thinking that, after a few drinks, sexually frustrated from not being laid in months, and if, Jordan--the babe—accepts and is your date, a part of you isn’t hoping this innocent nephew’s Bar Mitzvah will turn into a night that’s maybe just what the ‘love’ doctor ordered.” Only problem was she had to hold out, since the party was still 3 months away! We laughed as we finished applying our gloss, paid the check, got the Rover, and bolted off to Mantra while blasting the tunes!

Going to any event, and being fortunate enough to be invited with a guest, can usually make for some spice, maybe a few fights if certain hopes aren’t met, and while looking forward to a delicious bagel, lox, and cream cheese you’ll wake up craving, only to hit the lavish brunch the next morning along with the bottle of Advil to help the ease the massive hangover and pounding head ache from all the booze you were sweating out from the night before. However, as a Maven who’s attended many events with various dates, where some blazed with fire while others simply simmered out….as you think back, how many of you single men and women wanted your date to land in your bed rather than on the sofa? Do you think he or she knew this, or just thought that they were being your supportive “friend” that accompanied you that evening? Well, stay tuned to soon find out what became of Alex and Jordan. Are they still friends post-Mitzvah? Do they hook up or have sex? Do they start to argue? Do they make up? Or, do they have a dramatic ending to the night of arguing, making up, and hooking up? But, why is it so rare that anything actually comes of any of the dates who accompanied you during the festivities? Did you let one slip on by? Or, did it stay all too friendly and innocent while never being addressed or talked about again?

No comments: