Sunday, March 4, 2007

HAPPY HOUR AND EX'S

So my phone rings....it, was Jay, my “ex”, a prince that once swept me off my feet. But I was so blinded in the relationship that I did not recognize the larceny in his sole; proving that old adage true, “never lend cash or credit cards to boyfriends with the expectation of being paid back. Though even with all the wrong Jay did causing me to back his bags and send him hiking, I still manage to catch occasional glimpses of the knight in shining armor. Yes though, there are still those certain “ex’s” for some unknown reasons that, even with their tarnished coats just don’t disappear. I flipped open my phone and he asked that I meet him at the Four Season’s at 4. “Ok, see you there!”

Before I met him I had a 3pm appointment on 63rd and a 3:30 on 76th n 2nd. I was showing two studio apartments to my friend’s mother. For the first time ever I was having an indecisive moment. The mother asked, “Which apartment did you like better?” I couldn’t decide, both had certain pros and cons similar to men you meet…some are rich but fucked up in the head, some are “poor” and “hot,” some are “hot” and “wealthy”, some are poor and academically smart yet unmotivated, some are motivated computer dorks with Gap Button downs and chino’s, and then some are just full of “space” and left just as “empty” as the waiter forgetting to pour more Pellegrino into your glass. But the worst men or women are the ones that are so full of themselves with undeserved pomposity.

Caroline and I strolled down 2nd Ave. We were going to take a cab, but I was thinking, no gym today and craving the glass of wine which I knew I would end up choosing over the virgin “cappuccino” at the 4 Seasons. As Caroline and I walked, I could not stop visioning the Noir; needless to say I was “power walking!” When I arrived at the “Season” Darrel was standing under the heated lamps ready to greet! I waited while the valet took Jay’s “body guard” Tony’s SUV.

After 2 rounds of Cosmo’s for the boys and Pinot Noir’s for me, we contemplated on where to hit next. A part of me wanted SO bad wanted to go home back to “Pasha,” grab a salad and turkey Burger from Equinox, sit on my sofa and watch “GH” (General Hospital for all you questioning; and YES I still love watching the saga along with Nicholas and Emily!) However, my other half was in dire need of a good dose of happy hour, which resulted in me “sticking” with the boys!”

Anyone knows when living in NYC, or visiting anytime you begin at the “Four Seasons” for a $19.00 vino and a $20.00 Martini and will usually end up “hoping” over to Tao for a bargain $12.00 “shot!” Every time I tell my mom I go to the Four Seasons she gets HORRIFIED to think I’d actually spend $19 on a cocktail but, this time it wasn’t me paying the “bill.” Being that she’s not a real “drinker” she can’t comprehend the price or how it’s a “social” thing. Now, what was initially supposed to be one end of the day “drink,” and then a long overdue visit from Michael, the massage therapist at 9pm ends up with a postponing text to Michael and, an unforeseen morning of waking up to empty bottles of Figi along with a bottle of Advil to help ease my eye ball of a headache!

We arrived at Tao just in time for the “early bird” special and managed to score 3 center seats at the bar. The wasabi peas were so tempting, but the diet was going too well that I didn’t even dare! Since Jay had a 6:30pm appointment downtown he decided to leave me in “safe hands” with his “body guard”, Tony. A, 6’4” Italian, bald with a go tee and, John Hardy chain hanging outside his V neck “Banana Republic” cashmere sweater. I was finishing sipping the last of my “noir” and my eagle eyes spot this 6 ft, well dressed handsome blue eyed guy, alone, looking thru his blackberry and checking his watch. I assumed he was waiting for clients or friends. Tony ran off to the SUV to charge his phone and left me single, with a new full glass of wine and 2 stools!

Happy hour’s sometimes will end up being a LONG night. For some reason once you “suck” down a few you have a hard time turning the bar tender off. Well this was the case. Alone the handsome guy orders a “martini”. I offer him Tony’s stool fully knowing Tony wouldn’t object. The guy sits down and, Tony comes back. The 3 of us end up “shooting the shit” and getting acquainted with our new “fine-looking” friend.

Tony stays for a little while longer until his phone rang and it was his wife, “WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? DO YOU KNOW HOW LATE IT IS?” Men, is it really that hard to “check in” with the spouse as in this case, or a girlfriend? I mean isn’t it merely about “doing the right thing?” But right now I wasn’t focusing on Tony or his wife. All I was interested in was chatting with Avi!

Now, men I’m sure all of you at one time or another have picked up a woman in a bar/lounge/club. And, women I’m certain the majority of you have managed to eye that “stallion” and what starts off as innocent bat of your lashes ends up as “trouble and entertainment” when you attempt to “part” in separate cabs since one of you is heading uptown and the other down. However, after a long evening of running around the city to Morgan bar, Stk and Marquee, Avi says “come back and let’s hang out for a little while longer.” Now we all know what a “little while longer” means, either; you hook up a little, or a lot, (either just kisses or hitting home run): you, go home immediately after; OR, you end up in one of his “t-shirts” doing the “walk of shame” out of his building, in your clothes from the night before and, quickly fetch a taxi home in the AM! Either way you are NOT taking the subway!

Regardless of the decision you make, to go back and hang or go home. If you do either your mind starts wondering, Will I ever go out or speak/see him again? I like this guy, he told me he liked me too, are these men just saying that to get you to have “sex” with them? Probably! But, what will he think if you end up going back, will he think of me as a slut? Obviously the chemistry for want is mutual so why not go back? WHY not is CORRECT! BUT, it’s apparent you liked each other, are both single with common interests THEN, WHY not take her out again? You liked her enough to “hang out” and spend the whole evening together leaving all of your friends, that it seems quite evident that you both “connected.” SO Miss Maven wonders, WHY not just pick up the phone, and stop playing the game and, ASK HER OUT AGAIN?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A FRIEND OF MINE SUGGESTED THAT I READ YOUR BLOG, AND IT IS FANTASTIC. I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOU A THOUGHT THAT PERHAPS YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT WAITING UNTIL THE 2ND OR 3RD REAL DATE BEFORE YOU GET INTO BED WITH A GUY. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF YOU WERE THE FISH THAT DIDN'T BITE THE BAIT THE FIRST TIME?

Anonymous said...

I am a woman here and also agrees with you that the blog is fantastic too!! However not all woman when ending up back at a mans house "bites the bait." What about the women who goes back to "hang out" and all they do is talk, maybe some kissing and and before they know it, they pass out. What's the harm in that? I know many women that have met men, gone home with them and ended up as their wives. I guess your opinion is just that, yours! Which is fine.........

Dating Maven said...

Hello to my "anonymous" readers,

I am glad you both are enjoying my blog. My opinion on going home with a guy after you first meet is that I really don't think it's that big of a deal....if you control your "hormones" which I will tell all of you men, ARE BY SOME CONTROLABLE, and there is no sex and no going to "3rd base" by either, then what is the harm of staying over? After all, you've already been with the person probably until wee hours of the morning, what is the difference if you go home at 3am solo or at 8am solo with possibly chemistry in the works and knowing you had a fun night, and enthusiastic that you met a nice guy. Now, the question still remains, why does or does not that nice guy call again?

Anonymous said...

maybe the guy doesnt call because the girl does not "put out" any girl that goes home with a guy and talks and passes out is a tease...unless the guy is gay

Dating Maven said...

There are some men who will meet a girl out and, at the end of the night, invite her back to their place. Then, are you implying that, ALL men are just looking for ONLY "action" and "satisfaction,” or, just to “score?” Aren't there those circumstances when you've met a girl who you respected and, found yourself LIKING her? Haven’t you ever felt a strong “connection”, and, "vibe” with someone where you knew there was, NO way in hell you were getting anything more then a "kiss" and some “spooning?” Yet, you STILL asked and took her home with you? I really would like to believe that not ALL men are complete "idiots" and, that there are some out there that don't ONLY think with their "cocks."

Anonymous said...

most men do not like to talk dirty,
most mature women do nt like it

Dating Maven said...

From my experience and others who I've asked, most have disagreed with what you said....More men talk dirty then most women, both in and out of the bedroom. However there's always that person whose entitled to their own views and opinions!